Wednesday, March 4, 2009

My husband - the roadie

Well its was concert week again (have i mentioned how much I hate concert week?). This one was particularly bad as on top of the normal 2 concerts on friday and sunday, as a condition of the grant we got from the town of Avon we also performed 2 concerts for the middle school kids today (just the 5th and 6th graders). So that's 4 concerts in 6 days. I'm so sick of that song now.

Any way, at Friday's concert I wasn't sure if I had anyone to work the sound and light board for the concert - I couldn't find Rick - the head of the music program at the school we perform at. So since Rick taught me a couple concerts back (for a coral concert he couldn't stay for) I taught Chris. Which came in very handy as Rick had to leave right at the beginning due to being sick (ended up with bronchitis).

So now Chris is an official roadie for the orchestra. On top of helping set up and tear down, he also knows how to work the lights and sound. I asked him how he liked it up in the booth and he said the sound and view is much better. Plus he can play. He kept changing the color of the lights we had shining on the back wall - it went from purple at the beginning of the concert to a weird green.

So I don't feel like I'm using him, I only ask him help at 1 of the many concerts (and he can pick which one) so he either helps set up or tear down. Well I take that back - because he dropped me off on Thursday for rehearsal he also helped set up and tear down that one as well. But I try not to ask any more of that from him, and I make sure he gets all the cookies he wants (from the refreshment table).

No comments: